We played four shows over two nights at the renowned “Joes Pub” this past weekend in New York City. We had many fine friends and guests in attendance, among then the Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman from the New York Times. Seems he liked the show…
Suzanne Vega Saturday (Personal)
By PAUL KRUGMAN
NOVEMBER 15, 2014
1. Gerry Leonard, who plays guitar on tour and produced her new album, is incredible.
2. If you saw Suzanne Vega years ago, as I did, and wondered if she’s still as good in live performance, she isn’t — she’s better. She seems to have grown into her stage presence, and now shows wonderful energy and rapport with the audience.
3. You forget how good a guitarist she is. Some of the most amazing passages were instrumental, with Vega and Leonard playing off each other or engaged in dense counterpoint.
4. Has there ever been another widely heard song, let alone a massive hit, written in blank verse?
5. Ironbound! Apparently by audience request; it turns out I’m not the only fan who loves that song.
6. The food in Joe’s Pub was very good — and my friends and I shared a bottle of Malbec, which I never did manage during my whirlwind trip to Argentina.
7. I didn’t intend to be a groupie and go backstage, but her manager recognized me. And luckily I was wearing black; for those of my station in life, all other colors lie.